Seeing the children at a time of growth is fun. They move happily and become a source of unspeakable happiness for parents. However, often their joy is taken away by a sudden high fever
Although fever is only a minor health disorder that arises due to flu or cough, this condition is quite alarming. Little activity is hampered, he gets fussy and cries constantly. In order not to panic, Father and Mother need to know the cause of the fever in the following :
Characteristics of Children Experiencing Fever
The condition of a child with a high fever to a temperature above 38 ° C should be monitored and examined to the doctor
At a medical point of view, fever is characterized by changes in body temperature. Normal human body temperature is 36-37 ° C. Meanwhile, fever occurs when an increase in body temperature is above 38 ° C.
Fever itself is actually not a disease, but it is an effort of the body’s natural resistance to infection.Fever will decrease and disappear as the infection in the body subside, but that does not mean there is absolutely no risk of the emergence of fever, especially in children.
5 Quick Ways to Handle a High Fever Child
Fever is a common occurrence in children. More than 60 percent of children aged six months to five years, at least had a fever once.
Generally high fever is caused by viral infections, such as cough and colds. Most children with fever will recover by themselves after a few days.
But parents sometimes worry if the child’s body is hot and never subsided. Moreover, if they are crying, sweating, and feverish.
To concerns and minimize the occurrence of unwanted things, parents can do the first 5 steps to reduce the heat in the children with following:
- The basic thing to do is check the child’s body temperature using a thermometer. Laying the thermometer should also be on the right part, such as into the child’s mouth or clamped on the armpits. Do not just put it on the forehead because the result is less accurate.
- If after measuring the child’s body temperature exceeds 38 ° C or proven to have a high fever, immediately place your child as comfortable as possible and take them to a room with a cool temperature.
- Next, always keep their fluid intake so as not to become dehydrated . Give enough milk if the child is still breastfeeding, understand also other steps as fever handling in infants . Signs of dehydration include dry mouth, no tears when crying, and / or sunken eyes.
- Also avoid wearing clothes and blankets that are too thick when the fever in children occurs.The reason is because it can interfere with air circulation in the body.
- Instead do not undress and compress it with warm water because it has not been proven true to reduce fever.
“Doc, my first child was 5 years old, he had a fever already from last Sunday and he still has not got the fever, but I still do not give any medicine but the heat does not go down .. What do I do dock? ”
If the child looks uncomfortable and his body temperature exceeds 38.9 ° C, give a drug containing acetaminophen or ibuprofen . But beforehand, read the packaging labels well to find the right dose and be careful not to give the child more than one type of drug containing acetaminophen, such as in cough and cold.
Giving the above drug is not recommended for children under the age of six months. Avoid also giving aspirin to children or adolescents. Immediately consult a doctor if the temperature does not go down even though he has taken the drug or if the fever lasts more than three days.
Childhood High Fever and Serious Disease Symptoms
Fever temperature in children who are higher and not back to normal until three days after handling, is an important sign to immediately check it to the doctor. For some cases high temperatures in children can be linked to more serious signs of illness, such as:
- Hard to breathe
Beware also if the child has a high fever may experience diseases caused by bacteria, such as:
- Meningitis (infection of the meninges, the protective membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord)
- Septicaemia (blood infection)
- Pneumonia (inflammation of lung tissue, usually caused by infection)
Parents need not be too worried and panicked in the face of children who have high fever. There are ways to lower the child’s heat that can be done at home. If still in doubt, Mother can consult a doctor as a consideration in providing good and correct first aid.
On the other hand, parents also should not underestimate the fever, especially when the child’s body temperature continues to increase and occur more than three days. Call your pediatrician immediately for more appropriate treatment.